Last updated on December 21st, 2017
What is a JUUL? It's an Amazing Vape Pen That's Pretty and Packs a Wild Punch!
After reading about one of the hottest “cigarette-like” vape pen on the market, JUUL Vapor, I had to try it. Wired Magazine raved about it, saying the JUUL “might just be the first great e-cig”. That’s saying a lot when you consider there are thousands of products on the market.
There have been other noted reviewers who also raved about the JUUL ecig.
Here's What the editor of TechCrunch said:
As a smoker, the Juul is actually comparable to actual cigarettes in terms of taste and sensation.
What I discovered, was that despite JUUL’s tiny size, it’s a powerhouse. My first puff was so strong, I got a major throat hit…and a bit of a head rush.
JUUL comes in only one nicotine strength, 5%. Wow. Most ecigs top out at 3.5%. The 50mg's is all part of the company's unique e-liquid formula that uses Nicotine Salts instead of the widely used “free-base” nicotine formula.
JUUL's Nicotine Salts is JUUL Lab's patented formula that is very different from the “free-base nicotine” formulas used by tobacco companies, and yes, by most e-liquid companies too.
The company says it uses the same type of nicotine found in tobacco leaves. They add the naturally occurring acid found in the tobacco plant giving you a “cigarette-like nicotine delivery” without the highly volatile dangers of free-base nicotine.
JUUL claims the delivery is more stable and more concentrated. I don't know if it's the type of nicotine or simply the wildly high 5% concentration of nicotine in these ecigs, but you'll certainly get your nic fix without the dangers (and stink) of tobacco smoke and apparently without free-base nicotine.
So What Is Free-Base Nicotine?
Nicotine occurs naturally in tobacco plants as either an acid or a base. The base form is called free-base nicotine. It's used in cigarettes and is volatile because it is absorbed very quickly into the lungs. Tobacco companies use ammonia to “freebase” the nicotine in smoke. Yet another good reason to give up cigarettes.
Cigarette-Like, Easy to Use Compact Design
If you're looking for portability, you'll like JUUL. The entire ecig, including the compact, safe battery is small and light weight. it kind of looks like a small USB drive.
This ecig certainly won't give you pocket bulge. Ladies will so like the fact that it fits easily into a small purse, and compared to larger vaporizers it's very discreet. Nice for vaping in public. I also like rectangular shape. Hey, it never rolls off the table.
If you're wondering if a JUUL battery has every exploded, the answer is no. This is one of the safest ecigs you can buy.
Pop in Cartridges Called “PODS”
Instead of cartridges or tanks, the JUUL uses flavor pods that snap into the top of the battery. The pods hold 0.7mL of e-liquid which gives you approximately 200 puffs. That's about what you get from 1 pack of cigarettes.
Currently there are 5 pod flavors – Virginia tobacco, (pretty good), Cool Mint, (true to it's name), Fruit Medley (ok if you like a sweet vape), Creme Brulee (custardy), and their newest flavor, Mango (my personal favorite). Keep in mind, high nicotine tends to add a spiciness to e-liquids, which actually tones down the super sweet flavors of similar e-juices.
Ordering Your JUUL
The Starter Kit comes with
•1 x rechargeable JUUL device
•1 x Multi JUULpod 4-pack
•1 year device warranty
JUUL Vapor PROs and CONs
- For a small cig-alike, the JUUL has little to fault.
- You do have to get used to that first inhalation which can take you by surprise! That said, the nicotine content is a game changer. Many smokers find the JUUL the most effective cigarette alternative.
- As for the patented “nicotine salt” formula, you'll have to decide for yourself whether it makes for a safer ecig. I do know that all parts of the JUUL are compliant to international and US safety and quality standards like RoHS and EMC, and undergo extensive testing and inspection.
- Vaping is a pleasure, and very stealth-like, but I found I had to tap the top of the pod sometimes to get a good connection to the battery.
- Pods are tiny, so don't expect them to last more than 2-3 days. Of course you may vape less with JUUL’s nicotine formula.
- Pods orders can be costly, but JUUL has an auto-ship program that includes 15% off the retail price and free shipping.
- The battery is easy to charge on a little USB charger, and because it's small, it charges quickly.
Conclusion: At just under 4″ long and weighing less than an ounce, this little beauty is the closest thing to an actual cigarette. That's my experience. One thing is for sure – there's a strong likelihood you'll never feel like smoking again.